Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Baby Towel Tutorial

Although I have a few baby towels from when the boys were babies, I wanted something for a little girl.  So, I went on the hunt for some fabric to make a towel or two.  I found this towel at Target on clearance for $4.98, about 50% off along with six matching washcloths for even less.  Make sure that you buy a towel that is large enough to be cut in half.  These are nice thick towels, not like alot of baby towels that are very thin.


 I figured that if I could cut the towel in half I could make two towels.


I went ahead and cut the thick corners of the washcloth off so that when I sewed everything together it wouldn't be too thick and inhibit my sewing.


Now it was time to fold the washcloth in half to form a triangle.  Once you have the triangle you will need to place it in the corner of the towel.  I had a raw edge from cutting my towel in half, so I did place my triangle so that it layed in a raw edge corner.



I had some extra binding from a bib I made, so I used it to cover my raw edge and the adjacent side.



Make sure that you pin the binding. If you like to be lazy sometimes...I know I do...you might be tempted to just start sewing, but I it is easier in the long run if you pin.  The towel fabric is thick enough that it doesn't stay in place easily.



Start sewing!



Then you have your little towel.  It is a fun, quick and easy project.  If you want you could bind it all the way around.  I was just using my left-overs and I like it just fine this way.

So, for about $8.50, I was able to make two baby towels that I love!  That sure beats the $15/ towel price for most thick baby towels.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes

 

Breezy Design Company | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates