Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ikea Shade Redo


 This lamp shade sat in my laundry room awaiting a purpose for about a year before I ended up using it. I found it for $1 in the As-Is section at Ikea. I loved it, but then realized after I bought it that it didn't let much light out.  So, I decided to recover it.
I tore off the velvet fabric, which loosened the metal rings that support the inside of the lamp. I was a little worried about this at first, but then decided to take it apart completely.


This is what I ended up with.  The lamp shade rolled out completely flat.  I laid out my fabric, sprayed it with spray adhesive and let it sit for the required time. Then I laid the plastic lamp lining out on the fabric.  After this I used my glue gun to glue the raw edges down.  It still looked a little unfinished. When light was shining from the inside I didn't want to see the shadow of the raw edges. To fix this I glued some off white ribbon down on the raw edges.  


At this point I glued the round metal supports back into the lampshade with a glue gun. I didn't take a picture of this part, but I did use binding clips to help keep it in place while the glue hardened.

Here is the finished shade.

 
The other great thing is that I found this lamp over the weekend at Salvation Army for $3.50. It was originally $7, but they were having a 50% off all merchandise sale. You cannot beat that! I think the shade looks great with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes

 

Breezy Design Company | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates