Thursday, January 6, 2011

My first post!

I have been anxiously awaiting my first post. I have sat down to write it numerous times, but for some reason never wanted to hit the publish button for fear that I would immediately want to take down my post. How silly?

Well, I have been working so hard the last few months to get our house ready for our new addition...Baby #3. I have pretty much finished up her room.  That's right, HER room.  After two awesome little fellows, we are now welcoming home a little girl! 

Well, for me a room is never finished, because I am always rearranging or changing things.  It is so much fun for me to think of how to make things more inviting or more US.  And I love the challenge of doing it without spending money.  My favorite thing to do is to shop my own house and repurpose things with a new look or function.  I also love searching through thrift stores and craigslist for treasures.

I will say most rooms are forever works-in-progress in our home.  But I am now in the last three weeks of my pregnancy, so I have decided I need to get my hands off of her room. I am starting to drive myself crazy with all the ideas swirling around in my head about what I could do.  So, here it is. I am sure I will change  a few things between now and her arrival, but I am, for the most part, very happy with how it turned out!


My mother-in-law and I made the bedding for her room. It turned out just the way I imagined.  The flower mobile was inspired by Martha Stewart's flower balls from her website and Encyclopedia of Crafts.


I found this chair on craigslist for $30 and made a slipcover for it. It was my first slipcover and it turned out pretty good. I don't know that I would tackle another slipcover any time soon, but it was worth trying it out for this project. The little footstool I found at Salvation Army for $8.  I painted the legs and recovered it with houndstooth green fabric and multi-colored piping.  The little side table (i.e. plant stand) I found for about $5 at Ross.  I plan to paint that once I have the time. The round wall art I got at Pier 1 years ago. I still love it, but I decided to paint it purple and add some more Martha Stewart flowers. I am going to hang the baby's name on it when I get the chance. Oh...the Ikea chandelier...I got that off of craigslist for ten bucks! In the store it sells for $40. I was so excited about that find!

 
A few years ago when I was visiting family in Iowa, I found these embroidery hoops for 10 cents a piece at a thrift store. I brought them home and covered them with some of my favorite fabric and used it in my living room.  I decided it would be fun to switch out the fabric and paint the hoops purple for the nursery.  On one of the small hoops I adhered flowers that I made after viewing a tutorial from  Jones Design Company.  I didn't use felt or wool, but I heavily starched plain cotton fabric and hot glued them onto the hoop.  On another hoop I "appliqued" (I think that is what you would call it) a bird on a branch using heat bonding paper...a super easy and fun project to do.


 

Along the crib wall in her room I would love to stencil a trellis pattern in a clear gloss.  I actually started to do it the other day, but then decided I was opening a can of worms. It is just not a project I am ready to do in the 11th hour. I just don't have the energy to finish it right now.  So, that will be a fun project for another day.

Thanks for reading my post!  Hope you enjoyed it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes

 

Breezy Design Company | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates